Madness and You, Perfect together!

  1. Top of Page
  2. Main Menu
  3. Page Content
  4. Page Extras
  5. Bottom of Page

On this site you will find various libraries and programs I have written in in Free Pascal. Everything here is released to the public domain, meaning free to use so long as you credit the original author, Jason M. Knight. A backlink to this website would also be greatly appreciated.

Latest News

31 Dec 2014 - Disqus added and Code Progress Update

Disqus now working, I think...

Holidays took a bit more of my time than planned, then had some 'issues' with getting disqus' comment counts to work right. Turns out they demand a full URI (which is stupid as HELL) to auto-process links on a page. I ended up using the span targeting with the data- attribute method. Not a fan, but it's just too damned stupid the other way around... so, now we have comments at least on the blog parts of the site. I'll be adding comments to some specific sub-pages as I'll likely start adding more article-like content to the site.

Site Back End additions

I've added a method of creating 'breakpoints' in my articles so I can manually set where the "read the rest of this article" link gets placed. Automating this usually sucks and is a headache, so simply having a 'comment' that says "stop here for the summary" seems a far, far better way of handling it.

When/if I turn this simple "poor man's CMS" into a real content management system, this may be a pretty big feature... though I will still likely require that articles be written in HTML simply because it is the only guaranteed way to have proper control over the output from an accessibility and SEO point of view.

8088/8086 DOS Game Engine Improvements

I've been working for, well... years -- mostly in my spare time -- on "upping my game" when it comes to writing games for DOS. My new approach uses a great deal more assembly language and is built towards building monolithic "single executable as the distribution" games instead of a "directory full of files".

I've made huge strides in terms of faster audio with a more 'modular' way of adding sound devices. I've been working towards adding new devices as well as fixing bugs. Likewise my video support is seeing some optimizations, bugfixes, and a whole new way of storing game data and buffering screen output.

... continued

24 Dec 2014 - Site Reskin and status update

It has been almost two years since I've done any work on this site. Between my borderline health and the variety of other projects I've been working on the site has been on the back burner for far, far too long.

Site Redesign in progress

First as you can likely tell is I reskinned the site. I'm not entirely wild about the "Noctua" browns, but the joke overly bright blue and needlessly dark green before it were never really "serious" designs. If anything that bright blue -- which laughably was DARKER than these browns -- was a kneejerk overreaction to people's complaints about the "retrocomputing green". I've also gone through and written an all new responsive layout handler using more modern techniques that should be a better showcase for all those things I keep talking about on web development forums like accessible design, semi-fluid elastic responsive layouts, and so forth.

Second I'm going to be adding Disqus to the news article/blog pages and a few select subpages. I'm not 100% happy with how big the scripting for it is (I suspect if I bothered I could do it in a quarter the code or less) but it's functional enough and of all the choices out there seems the least crappy. Not exactly high praise, but what can one expect with scripttardery. Likewise some social media links (probably just FB and G+) will be added as several projects are going to be approaching completion soon and it might help get things into the hands of interested parties. I figure I'll be implementing it this weekend (aka after Christmas).

More DOS games coming soon.

I'm going to start writing up progress reports on updates to my DOS game engine, which will first be used on an all new version of Paku Paku. There are three other games currently in development but since i'm using an all new codebase for audio and video I figured first I'd stick with a known quantity on gameplay and game logic. So stay tuned for updates on that.

12 Nov 2012 - Paku Paku Commodore 64

Paku Paku for the Commodore 64

Just to give myself a bit of a challenge I've written a version of Paku Paku for the Commodore 64. I'd call it a port, but there is so little code in common apart from a few bits and pieces, it really is a whole different program.

Check it out on my Paku Paku C64 page.

UPDATE! 14 NOV 2012

I've added a page where you can Try the Commodore 64 version in your browser using JaC64, a Java based emulator. It's not quite as nice as running it in VICE or the real hardware as said emulator is a bit buggy, but it gives the less adventerous of you a chance to see the game in action.

Like the PC version which uses HTML and CSS3 to make a rough approximation of a Tandy CM-11 display without images, I took the time to make something that looks a wee bit like a Commodore 1702 monitor using the same techniques.

« Read older posts

If you have any comments/questions, or suggestions for this site, please use our Contact Form and I'll get back to you at the earliest convenience.

  1. Top of Page
  2. Main Menu
  3. Page Content
  4. Page Extras
  5. Bottom of Page